From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 14:59:44 -0500
Hi.

The main reason why I lamb-basted Kenwood concerning the TS2000S is the
receiver noise floor issue.  I didn't realize how bad it is until I started
doing some rig to rig comparisons during the VHF contest, and discovered
that the Kenwood TS690 stomps the snot out of the TS2000S on 6 meters, and
the TS790A stomps the snot out of it on 2 meters and 70 cm.  I already knew
the TS690 is quieter on HF, but the receiver sensitivity isn't as critical
as it is on VHF/UHF.

My take on it is this.  In any rig that I buy, it is receiver performance
that I hold out for primarily.  Anybody can build a transmitter section
that will do the job reasonably well--that isn't rocket science.  But it is
generally the receiver section that makes a rig exceptional or very bad,
because let's face it folks--you can't work 'em if you can't hear 'em.

My point is that for the cost of the rqadio, I think Kenwood could have
paid a little more attention to receiver noise, and for the length of time
that radio has been on the market, they could have come out with a revised
version, if they cared at all.  Or even if they had a more expensive
version that provided a first class receiver, I'm the kind of operator that
would spend the extra bucks to get something really good if it were in my
means to do so.  My take on the TS2000S is that it is a good radio for
folks that do casual operation on a lot of different bands, but for someone
who is looking for very good performance, it comes up short.

That is my two cents worth.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK