From:
Michael Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:11:59 -0500
I use a Weller dual-heat gun for larger items such as switches, connectors,
etc. For circuit boards or things requiring low heat, like semiconductors, I
use a cordless (rechargeable) soldering iron. The one I use is the Wahl
Isotip (about $60 or so, I think). Radio Shack has had cordless soldering
irons off and on. I don't know if they currently do.

The cordless iron is an instant-heat, fast cooling tool, and can accomodate
several different types of tips, including a tip for clearing bridged
connections. Actually, there is a knife tip which I prefer for that job.

You can position the tip and the solder on the connection while everything
is cool, just as with the gun. The "iron" has a pushbutton to hold down
rather than a trigger. By holding the solder vertically on the connection
and touching the tip, you can feel the heat traveling up the solder so that
you know that heating is occuring and feel the solder descending toward the
work as it melts, so you can get an idea of how much solder you are
applying.

The cordless iron is a compromize; not as efficient as an electric iron. But
an iron that stays hot all the time requires really good orientation and
lots of practice. I don't do enough soldering any more to stay proficient,
but the cordless iron meets my needs, and there is no cord to inadvertently
burn and contaminate the tip with.

73.

-- Mike, K9AZS