From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:37:28 -0400
Tom,

Opinions vary as to which system is better, and you'll probably get as many
different answers as there are people on this list.  Regardless of all that,
though, you need to look at a few things:

1.  You're using Windows at work.  Although it's true that there are
programs which allow you to use PC files on the Mac and vice versa, you're
bound to run into instances where things don't go as they should.  Ask
yourself if you really want to put up with those kind of surprises, keeping
in mind that you won't see them coming.

2.  No matter what learning curve there is for switching to Vista, there'll
be an even bigger learning curve if you switch from Windows to a Mac.  Are
you up for that?

3.  You mentioned three programs: JAWS, Duxbury, and K1000.  These are all
Windows programs, and are not supported on the Mac.  Mac has its own screen
reader, but it definitely isn't JAWS, and whether it works well or not,
you'll have to learn it.  Duxbury used to be supported on Macs, but the
company has dropped Mac support in the interest of doing a better job in the
market where they get the most revenue.  I don't even know if there is a
program equivalent to K1000 for the Mac.

To me, the important issue is whether you're considering a Mac as a way to
avoid dealing with VISTA, or whether you want to switch to the Mac because
it's a better machine for the tasks you want to accomplish.  If the former,
I wouldn't waste your time.  If the latter, you have to decide whether the
improvements are worth the time and effort it will take you to master the
new environment.

Steve