From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:09:16 -0500
Good news Tom,

Just like being a drunk or drug addict, admitting the problem is the
first step to getting  it solved.   In your case, finding the source of
the trouble out of the    multitude of possibilities is a big step.

If you have the same mic as i have, it has a cord about 8 ft. long.
Try winding up the excess into a coil, along with the ferrite.   I
replaced my cable years ago with a shorter  one that ends in a 1/8 plug,
so I can switch between headset and Gold Line very fast.

Just for the heck of it, you may want to try a ground wire between mic
and radio and see what happens.  Either a jumper with clips, or loosen
the nut at the toggle switch and slip a wire under.

Now that I think about it, i remember Heil's web site explaining the
need to  ground these things better, and to  jumper one of the pins on
the 8 pin connector to the shell of the connector.  I think the mic has
a floating ground that needs to be brought to chassis ground.

Maybe you will have a happy ending to "How I spent My Spring Vacation".

73, Steve KW3A