From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:51:27 -0500
Steve,

I'm also toying with the idea of a high power auto tuner.  While I'm not a
big MFJ fan, the MFJ 998  looks interesting when compared with the LDG.

The LDG is cheaper and will do 6 meters, which the MFJ won't.  However when
you interface the MFJ with  the $20 cable to your Kenwood, and press the
tune button on the rig, the  amp is by-passed, the rig goes into cw at 10
watts and  the tuner does it's thing.  After a match is found, the rig is
returned to original mode and power and amp is put back in line.

The MFJ will handle more power, but the feature which interests me is the
amp protection feature.  It won't allow the amp to be keyed if swr exceeds a
user set limit.   I'm not sure if the menus are accessible, but there are
some beeps and some cw notifications.  Also upgradeable via pc connection.

I've been running a solid state amp  since just before Christmas with the
TS-2000 and I'm interested in the amp protection feature.  Hate to smoke
those expensive finals.

73, Steve KW3A