From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2014 18:21:05 -0400
Tom,

I've put in more than my 2 cents on this one so what's another penny or
2?   I think part of the problem  starts with  using the term "relay
tripping".    This kind of gives the idea of an amp  going off line due
to a fault as a result of some protection  device.    W8JI seems to
think your amp has a  optional grid protection unit and I think
everything he says is based on that.  I had mentioned the possibility of
this grid protection thing a few days ago at the start of this thread,
but didn't think your amp had this option.

Maybe a better discription of your problem is something like "T/R relay
clicking at odd and infrequent times".

Most of the amature detecctives on the list (including me) thinkthe
problem is external to the amp:    Amp buffer, PTT, control cables, or
whatever.

I know you want to get to the bottom of this, but don't tear the station
down to the foundation before trying some of the simple things.

BTW, a few years ago there was some discussion of  an LDG breakout box.
  you had mentioned you had put this on your list of things to get.   if
you have one, you can use it as an interface between radio and amp.
Otherwise, to get the buffer out of line, you will need to build, buy,
or steal the proper cable.    If you have the LDG box laying around you
can do a quick and dirty interface with a couple of RCA cables and see
if the buffer is bad.

73, Steve KW3A