From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 00:56:24 -0500
Hi Howard.

I can't speak for the really new Kenwood HF rigs, but my general experience
with Kenwood rigs is that most of the solid state ones that were made after
the TS-520SE/TS-820S radios were pretty tolerant of a wide range of
impedances.  For example, the impedance range on my Kenwood TS130S was 500
ohms to 50 kilohms!  The radio was so forgiving that when I passed my
Advanced test, the first thing I did was to pull an old Turner hand mic off
an old junked CB and slap a 4 pin connector onto it and check into our NTS
section net on 75 meters.  The rig worked with it very well, and I had no
idea what the impedance of the mic was.  My TS430S, my TS680S, and my
TS690S were all equally forgiving.  So, I'm not that surprised that the
D104 worked out well on your TS480S.

Enjoy.

--Lou K2LKK

At 09:25 PM 2/11/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>I got a 8 pin to modular converter for the ts480 today.  Picked up an old
>d-104 at the last ham fest, with a roung 8 pin kenwood configured mike plug
>on it.  Stuck it on the 480, and had to turn down the mike gain and
>processor, but it sounds great appearently.  I didn't think the impeedences
>would match at all.

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]