From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2014 14:56:46 -0400
Ron,

Good luck with the antenna work.  Hope it all comes together  this time.

The warning about voltages in the amp keying  has to do with older amps
that may  be using 120 v or something  to key.   Dave KD4JEZ  has an old
Collins amp to which this may apply.    Modern amps don't need the
buffer, but you could still use one if desired.  Ameritron RB 704
  and  optional  cable from buffer to radio.   It comes with RCA
shielded cables to go from buffer to amp, one for keying and one for ALC.

Other options are to get one of your ham friends to solder up the 7 pin
din plug that came with the radio, or solder it yourself if you are
comfortable doing that.

Otherwise buy a cable from ebay or someplace else.  You can get them
with or without ALC.    I would use ALC, especially on  a SS amp, but to
each his own.

If you decide to wire up the plug, pin 2 is grounded, pin 4 goes to amp
key jack, and pin 6 is ALC.  Other pins are not used.   As always
confirm this with the manual.  And remember to turn menu 53 on to
activate amp keying.   Choices are 1, 2, or 3.  Check the manual to see
what one suits your amp's needs.
73, Steve KW3A