From:
Jim Gammon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 2016 19:11:04 -0800
Roger Tom, Jim

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Date sent: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 18:23:05 -0800
Subject: Re: interesting email about Gravitational waves

Thanks Jim, that's the craziest noise reduction work ever heard
of.
tom fowle WA6IVG

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 08:18:27PM -0800, Jim Gammon wrote:
 Got this from a ham friend yesterday.
 Gravitational Waves Exist: The Inside Story of How Scientists
Finally Found
 Them
 By Nicola Twilley

 Just over a billion years ago, many millions of galaxies from
here, a pair
 of black holes collided.  They had been circling each other for
aeons, in a
 sort of mating dance, gathering pace with each orbit, hurtling
closer and
 closer.  By the time they were a few hundred miles apart, they
were whipping
 around at nearly the speed of light, releasing great shudders of
 gravitational energy.  Space and time became distorted, like
water at a
 rolling boil.  In the fraction of a second that it took for the
black holes
 to finally merge, they radiated a hundred times more energy than
all the
 stars in the universe combined.  They formed a new black hole,
sixty-two
 times as heavy as our sun and almost as wide across as the state
of Maine.
 As it smoothed itself out, assuming the shape of a slightly
flattened
 sphere, a few last quivers of energy escaped.  Then space and
time became
 silent again.

 The waves rippled outward in every direction, weakening as they
went.  On
 Earth, dinosaurs arose, evolved, and went extinct.  The waves
kept going.
 About fifty thousand years ago, they entered our own Milky Way
galaxy, just
 as Homo sapiens were beginning to replace our Neanderthal
cousins as the
 planet’s dominant species of ape.  A hundred years ago, Albert
Einstein, one
 of the more advanced members of the species, predicted the
waves’ existence,
 inspiring decades of speculation and fruitless searching.
Twenty-two years
 ago, construction began on an enormous detector, the Laser
Interferometer
 Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).  Then, on September 14,
2015, at just
 before eleven in the morning, Central European Time, the waves
reached
 Earth.  Marco Drago, a thirty-two-year-old Italian postdoctoral
student and a
 member of the LIGO Scientific Collaboration, was the first
person to notice
 them.  He was sitting in front of his computer at the Albert
Einstein
 Institute, in Hannover, Germany, viewing the LIGO data remotely.
The waves
 appeared on his screen as a compressed squiggle, but the most
exquisite ears
 in the universe, attuned to vibrations of less than a trillionth
of an inch,
 would have heard what astronomers call a chirp—a faint
whooping from low to
 high.  This morning, in a press conference in Washington, D.C.,
the LIGO team
 announced that the signal constitutes the first direct
observation of
 gravitational waves.

 When Drago saw the signal, he was stunned.  “It was difficult
to understand
 what to do,” he told me.  He informed a colleague, who had the
presence of
 mind to call the LIGO operations room, in Livingston, Louisiana.
Word began
 to circulate among the thousand or so scientists involved in the
project.  In
 California, David Reitze, the executive director of the LIGO
Laboratory, saw
 his daughter off to school and went to his office, at Caltech,
where he was
 greeted by a barrage of messages.  “I don’t remember exactly
what I said,” he
 told me.  “It was along these lines: ‘Holy shit, what is
this?’ ” Vicky
 Kalogera, a professor of physics and astronomy at Northwestern
University,
 was in meetings all day, and didn’t hear the news until
dinnertime.  “My
 husband asked me to set the table,” she said.  “I was
completely ignoring
 him, skimming through all these weird e-mails and thinking, What
is going
 on?” Rainer Weiss, the eighty-three-year-old physicist who
first suggested
 building LIGO, in 1972, was on vacation in Maine.  He logged on,
saw the
 signal, and yelled “My God!” loudly enough that his wife and
adult son came
 running.

 The collaborators began the arduous process of double-, triple-,
and
 quadruple-checking their data.  “We’re saying that we made a
measurement that
 is about a thousandth the diameter of a proton, that tells us
about two
 black holes that merged over a billion years ago,” Reitze
said.  “That is a
 pretty extraordinary claim and it needs extraordinary
evidence.” In the
 meantime, the LIGO scientists were sworn to absolute secrecy.
As rumors of
 the finding spread, from late September through this week, media
excitement
 spiked; there were rumblings about a Nobel Prize.  But the
collaborators gave
 anyone who asked about it an abbreviated version of the
truth—that they were
 still analyzing data and had nothing to announce.  Kalogera
hadn’t even told
 her husband.

 LIGO consists of two facilities, separated by nearly nineteen
hundred
 miles—about a three-and-a-half-hour flight on a passenger jet,
but a journey
 of less than ten ten-thousandths of a second for a gravitational
wave.  The
 detector in Livingston, Louisiana, sits on swampland east of
Baton Rouge,
 surrounded by a commercial pine forest; the one in Hanford,
Washington, is
 on the southwestern edge of the most contaminated nuclear site
in the United
 States, amid desert sagebrush, tumbleweed, and decommissioned
reactors.  At
 both locations, a pair of concrete pipes some twelve feet tall
stretch at
 right angles into the distance, so that from high above the
facilities
 resemble carpenter’s squares.  The pipes are so long—nearly
two and a half
 miles—that they have to be raised from the ground by a yard at
each end, to
 keep them lying flat as Earth curves beneath them.

 LIGO is part of a larger effort to explore one of the more
elusive
 implications of Einstein’s general theory of relativity.  The
theory, put
 simply, states that space and time curve in the presence of
mass, and that
 this curvature produces the effect known as gravity.  When two
black holes
 orbit each other, they stretch and squeeze space-time like
children running
 in circles on a trampoline, creating vibrations that travel to
the very
 edge; these vibrations are gravitational waves.  They pass
through us all the
 time, from sources across the universe, but because gravity is
so much
 weaker than the other fundamental forces of
nature—electromagnetism, for
 instance, or the interactions that bind an atom together—we
never sense
 them.  Einstein thought it highly unlikely that they would ever
be detected.
 He twice declared them nonexistent, reversing and then
re-reversing his own
 prediction.  A skeptical contemporary noted that the waves
seemed to
 “propagate at the speed of thought.”

 Nearly five decades passed before someone set about building an
instrument
 to detect gravitational waves.  The first person to try was an
engineering
 professor at the University of Maryland, College Park, named Joe
Weber.  He
 called his device the resonant bar antenna.  Weber believed that
an aluminum
 cylinder could be made to work like a bell, amplifying the
feeble strike of
 a gravitational wave.  When a wave hit the cylinder, it would
vibrate very
 slightly, and sensors around its circumference would translate
the ringing
 into an electrical signal.  To make sure he wasn’t detecting
the vibrations
 of passing trucks or minor earthquakes, Weber developed several
safeguards:
 he suspended his bars in a vacuum, and he ran two of them at a
time, in
 separate locations—one on the campus of the University of
Maryland, and one
 at Argonne National Laboratory, near Chicago.  If both bars rang
in the same
 way within a fraction of a second of each other, he concluded,
the cause
 might be a gravitational wave.

 In June of 1969, Weber announced that his bars had registered
something.
 Physicists and the media were thrilled; the Times reported that
“a new
 chapter in man’s observation of the universe has been
opened.” Soon, Weber
 started reporting signals on a daily basis.  But doubt spread as
other
 laboratories built bars that failed to match his results  By
1974, many had
 concluded that Weber was mistaken.  (He continued to claim new
detections
 until his death, in 2000.)

 Weber’s legacy shaped the field that he established.  It
created a poisonous
 perception that gravitational-wave hunters, as Weiss put it, are
“all liars
 and not careful, and God knows what.” That perception was
reinforced in
 2014, when scientists at BICEP2, a telescope near the South
Pole, detected
 what seemed to be gravitational radiation left over from the Big
Bang; the
 signal was real, but it turned out to be a product of cosmic
dust.  Weber
 also left behind a group of researchers who were motivated by
their
 inability to reproduce his results.  Weiss, frustrated by the
difficulty of
 teaching Weber’s work to his undergraduates at the
Massachusetts Institute
 of Technology, began designing what would become LIGO.  “I
couldn’t
 understand what Weber was up to,” he said in an oral history
conducted by
 Caltech in 2000.  “I didn’t think it was right.  So I
decided I would go at it
 myself.”

 In the search for gravitational waves, “most of the action
takes place on
 the phone,” Fred Raab, the head of LIGO’s Hanford site, told
me.  There are
 weekly meetings to discuss data and fortnightly meetings to
discuss
 coördination between the two detectors, with collaborators in
Australia,
 India, Germany, the United Kingdom, and elsewhere.  “When
these people wake
 up in the middle of the night dreaming, they’re dreaming about
the
 detector,” Raab said.  “That’s how intimate they have to
be with it,” he
 explained, to be able to make the fantastically complex
instrument that
 Weiss conceived actually work.

 Weiss’s detection method was altogether different from
Weber’s.  His first
 insight was to make the observatory “L”-shaped.  Picture two
people lying on
 the floor, their heads touching, their bodies forming a right
angle.  When a
 gravitational wave passes through them, one person will grow
taller while
 the other shrinks; a moment later, the opposite will happen.  As
the wave
 expands space-time in one direction, it necessarily compresses
it in the
 other.  Weiss’s instrument would gauge the difference between
these two
 fluctuating lengths, and it would do so on a gigantic scale,
using miles of
 steel tubing.  “I wasn’t going to be detecting anything on
my tabletop,” he
 said.

 To achieve the necessary precision of measurement, Weiss
suggested using
 light as a ruler.  He imagined putting a laser in the crook of
the “L.” It
 would send a beam down the length of each tube, which a mirror
at the other
 end would reflect back.  The speed of light in a vacuum is
constant, so as
 long as the tubes were cleared of air and other particles the
beams would
 recombine at the crook in synchrony—unless a gravitational
wave happened to
 pass through.  In that case, the distance between the mirrors
and the laser
 would change slightly.  Since one beam would now be covering a
shorter
 distance than its twin, they would no longer be in lockstep by
the time they
 got back.  The greater the mismatch, the stronger the wave.
Such an
 instrument would need to be thousands of times more sensitive
than any
 previous device, and it would require delicate tuning in order
to extract a
 signal of vanishing weakness from the planet’s omnipresent
din.

 Weiss wrote up his design in the spring of 1972, as part of his
laboratory’s
 quarterly progress report.  The article never appeared in a
scientific
 journal—it was an idea, not an experiment—but according to
Kip Thorne, an
 emeritus professor at Caltech who is perhaps best known for his
work on the
 movie “Interstellar,” “it is one of the greatest papers
ever written.”
 Thorne doesn’t recall reading Weiss’s report until later.
“If I had read it,
 I had certainly not understood it,” he said.  Indeed,
Thorne’s landmark
 textbook on gravitational theory, co-authored with Charles
Misner and John
 Wheeler and first published in 1973, contained a student
exercise designed
 to demonstrate the impracticability of measuring gravitational
waves with
 lasers.  “I turned around on that pretty quickly,” he told
me.

 Thorne’s conversion occurred in a hotel room in Washington,
D.C., in 1975.
 Weiss had invited him to speak to a panel of NASA scientists.
The evening
 before the meeting, the two men got to talking.  “I don’t
remember how it
 happened, but we shared the hotel room that night,” Weiss
said.  They sat at
 a tiny table, filling sheet after sheet of paper with sketches
and
 equations.  Thorne, who was raised Mormon, drank Dr Pepper;
Weiss smoked a
 corncob pipe stuffed with Three Nuns tobacco.  “There are not
that many
 people in the world that you can talk to like that, where both
of you have
 been thinking about the same thing for years,” Weiss said.  By
the time
 Thorne got back to his own room, the sky was turning pink.

 At M.I.T., Weiss had begun assembling a small prototype detector
with
 five-foot arms.  But he had trouble getting support from
departmental
 administrators, and many of his colleagues were also skeptical.
One of them,
 an influential astrophysicist and relativity expert named
Phillip Morrison,
 was firmly of the opinion that black holes did not exist—a
viewpoint that
 many of his contemporaries shared, given the paucity of
observational data.
 Since black holes were some of the only cosmic phenomena that
could
 theoretically emit gravitational waves of significant size,
Morrison
 believed that Weiss’s instrument had nothing to find.  Thorne
had more
 success: by 1981, there was a prototype under way at Caltech,
with arms a
 hundred and thirty-one feet long.  A Scottish physicist named
Ronald Drever
 oversaw its construction, improving on Weiss’s design in the
process.

 In 1990, after years of studies, reports, presentations, and
committee
 meetings, Weiss, Thorne, and Drever persuaded the National
Science
 Foundation to fund the construction of LIGO.  The project would
cost two
 hundred and seventy-two million dollars, more than any
N.S.F.-backed
 experiment before or since.  “That started a huge fight,”
Weiss said.  “The
 astronomers were dead-set against it, because they thought it
was going to
 be the biggest waste of money that ever happened.” Many
scientists were
 concerned that LIGO would sap money from other research.  Rich
Isaacson, a
 program officer at the N.S.F.  at the time, was instrumental in
getting the
 observatory off the ground.  “He and the National Science
Foundation stuck
 with us and took this enormous risk,” Weiss said