From:
Lou Kolb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 2014 13:50:07 -0400
Joe,

Everything Colin says here is true so don't discount it. That said, however,
you still might be able to do something on HF even from an apartment. I know
a guy in Ohio whom I work regularly on 40 meters who uses 2 hamsticks
bracketed together as a dipole. He gets out reasonably well with this setup.
Do you have a balcony available? I believe he may put this lash-up out when
he operates and brings it in when he's QRT. The down side is, you'd be
limited to one band only unless you were to make up a few of these
"dipoles."  But you must work only one band, 40 meters or 7 to 7.3 megahertz
is a good one. Most of the year, its open to somewhere at any hour of the
day or night. And there is usually lots of activity.

Also, if you're willing to work CW, you'll do much better from an apartment
than on voice or phone as hams call it. CW makes much more efficient use of
a signal that may be weaker because of power or antenna restrictions. Good
luck, whatever you try. 73. Lou  WA3MIX
Lou Kolb
Voice-over Artist:
Radio/TV Ads, Video narrations