From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Oct 2008 13:29:25 -0500
Howard Kaufman writes:
> On 530 kHz, I get two stations, in the evening Spanish with something
> under
> it.  In the morning at least now at 11/15 Z, Something called "the
> Vietnamese Canada hour.  Under it I hear a beacon sending "lyq""  The
> Canadian station is a solid s7 on the ts480, which seems to be a very
> scotch
> meter.

	The Spanish language station is in Mexico and appears to
be a religious station. I've also heard the beacon and, one
evening last year, that beacon was really strong in Oklahoma. It
just happened to also be running a continuous voice loop stating
that it was in Tennessee and that the runway lights were
temporarily out of service. A pilot I know said that this was
probably to let people know that landing conditions were not
safe for that night so they could find an alternative site and
to also let pilots know not to expect to see the airport as they
flew in the area. It might cause somebody to get lost if they
were expecting to see them and they weren't there.

	The official AM broadcast band starts at 540 KHZ but, as
you can tell, there are folks who like to make a little more
room.

You'll also find AM stations sandwiched between some of the US
channels. I remember hearing Radio San Salvador 15 or so years
ago on one of those splits. Programming was in Spanish and
featured Top 40 music as well as commercials for San Salvador
businesses such as a unisex hair salon.

	I am drifting off topic, so again, the beacon is in
Tennessee.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer