From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2014 20:19:05 -0400
Mike:

I am not an expert on these things, but I agree that this doesn't sound
normal, and may be a sign of one or more bad tubes.

As for replacement tubes, I decided to go with 572B's, rather than 811's.  I
was advised to bite the bullet and get a matching quod (i.e. set of four
tubes), rather than buying individual replacements.  This way, the tubes are
equally used, with less likelihood of causing damage to any remaining good
tubes in the tuning process, and when transmitting.

I got my matching quod of 572B's from RF Parts, back in the Fall of 2009,
for a little over $200.

I could have gotten a set of four 811's for about half the price, but
decided to go with the more robust tubes, especially since I was learning
the tuning process at that time, and wanted to give myself a margin of
error, if you know what I mean.

If you want to contact RF Parts, their phone number is:

(770)  614-7443.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

I wouldn't think the price would have changed much between then and now.

Let's see what others with more experience than me might have to say about
this issue.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ