From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 18:52:21 -0400
P.S.

Both of the receivers that I discussed can be controlled through a serial
interface.

You will end up spending closer to $1000 by the time you get the R75
outfitted with filters, a speech board, and a decent external speaker if
you buy one of Icom's  (I stole one from a defunct boom box and it works fine).

A stock Icom R75 costs $539.95 before you start adding accessories.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 03:25 PM 8/1/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>         I am looking for a communications receiver to replace my
>aging ICR71 which I have had for about 22 years of generally
>great service on HF. I run separate transmit and receive so I
>only need to worry about receiver quality in this decision.
>
>         What I have in mind is something with generally the same
>capabilities as the ICR71 with hopefully a serial interface that
>I can use with a computer.
>
>         I have a Uniden BC780 scanner which I can fully control
>with the exception of things like volume and squelch from a
>Linux computer. The serial commands are turse, but not hard to
>master.
>
>         It would be nice to have that same capability on HF.
>Also, if the HF receiver had that serial interface, it wouldn't
>matter so much if it had an on-board speech output since the
>computer could read the information one needed and its speech
>synthesizer would tell you what frequency was being heard.
>
>         I seem to remember the ICR71 was around 600 Dollars so I
>am figuring on needing to spend something similar.  I think
>every 20 to 25 years, it's time for a newer receiver.
>
>         The R71 is still working, but getting really strange
>glitches in its behavior, probably due to electrolytic
>capacitors reaching the end of their lives.
>
>         Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
>Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
>Systems Engineer
>OSU Information Technology Department Network Operations Group
>

>--
>4:53 PM

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK