From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jul 2014 04:39:12 -0700
I'm not sure what you jmean by "that way"".  I have tuned band pass with
the ifr in generate mode and an ht for years.  You get very close, and
you then check through power as well as swr.  It works and I've done it
without sighted help and a tracking generator for years.  I've done
dozens of systems, both commercial and ham.  There is more than one way
to do something and if you understand the theory and know how, you can
make lots of things work.  I have had two specific instances where band
pass band reject duplexers were tuned up by professional shops for our
ham club in Vegas and done on latest motorola monitor.  When I fired
everything up, had 25 watts into duplexer, 5 watts out and circulator
dummy load was quite warm.  Does this tell you anything?  In both cases
I had to do it my way, had very little loss through cuplexer and no miss
match fed through circulator.  If you folks don't know about those I can
explain later.  Latest and most expensive test equipment doesn't
necessarily mean it is done right.  I have been in the two way business
since 1968 and for many years didn't have much for test equipment, an
old measurements 560 for a generator for example.  Got my ifr 1200 in
1990 as I recall, a marvelous piece of equipment.
73
Butch
WA0VJR
Node 3148
Wallace, ks.

On Wed, 2 Jul 2014, John
Miller wrote:

> Without the right test equipment you can barely get in the ballpark that
> way, I've seen a lot of damage done that way. As it happens, I'm friends
> with the majority of the local repeater tuners in the area and am constantly
> hearing stories of people who tried to tune cans that way or other ways that
> do nothing but get them in major trouble more often than not.

>>> Butch