From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 2014 09:45:01 -0500
I tried to sign that petition, but every time I clicked the link, it would give me a message saying something like, "this is embarrassing, but we can't find this petition."
Harvey

From: Gene Fleeman [
mailto:[log in to unmask]
]
Hi everyone,
I've started the petition "Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers:
Incorporate
voice technology, audio queues, and/or tactile buttons into your flat panel
appliances
to make them accessible to the blind and those with low vision." Thanks to
500 supporters,
the petition is off to a good start. But to really make a statement to the
Appliance
Manufacturers of how important this issue is to those with sight impairment,
I need
your support to make the number of signatures to grow exponentially! Lets
join together
to make our voices heard.
Thank you,
Will you take 30 seconds to sign it right now? Here's the link:
http://www.change.org/petitions/association-of-home-appliance-manufacturers-incorporate-voice-technology-audio-queues-and-or-tactile-buttons-into-your-flat-panel-appliances-to-make-them-accessible-to-the-blind-and-those-with-low-vision
Here's why it's important:
I started this petition on Change.org, because of the perceived lack of
demand, appliance
manufacturers have been reluctant to build inexpensive voice/touch
technology into
their products, thereby making them inaccessible to the blind.  There are
approximately
seven million blind or low-vision people living in the United States today,
and that
number is growing every day, due to causes ranging from birth defects,
diabetes,
to combat injuries, etc.  We clean, do laundry, iron, sew, and travel
independently.
We are foodservice managers, attorneys, scientists and more.  And yet, when
it comes
to operating our touch panel home appliances we are practically helpless.
Why?,
because appliance manufacturers refuse to incorporate inexpensive technology
that
already exists­such as those used in smartphones and iPads that make their
flat panel
appliances accessible to the blind.
By including audio cues, speech output, or tactile buttons, manufacturers
will reduce
the likelihood that a blind or sighted person will inadvertently touch a
spot on
a panel and turn on a burner without knowing it, potentially causing a fire
or serious
personal injury. Without accessible technology being offered to consumers,
people
who were once able to cook and clean independently could well find
themselves unable
to live alone in their own homes.
But it doesn’t have to be this way! If manufacturers incorporate inexpensive
audio
and/or tactile technology into their products, they will make a huge
difference in
the safety of the blind and others as well as the ability of the blind to
continue
to lead their lives independently, while simultaneously gaining thousands,
if not
millions, of newly satisfied customers. This is good for blind people who
will remain
independent; good for manufacturers who will sell products that the blind
can use
and that are safer for all who buy them; and good for society, which will
not be
asked to help normally competent human beings live in assisted living or
nursing
facilities simply because new appliances do not have displays they can read.
By signing our petition, you will be showing your support and telling the
Association
of Home Appliance Manufacturers to work in collaboration with the National
Federation
of the Blind to get their manufacturer members to incorporate these
immeasurable
improvements in the quality of life, convenience, and safety of the blind
and those
who are losing their vision.
Again thank you for your support,
Gene Fleeman