From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:42:25 -0600
Gerry,

We should somehow work on getting the manual available together.  I have the
same problems even with a stripped text version of the manual because the
pictures are stripped out.  That doesn't help me anyway so who cares.  The
microphone gain can be set, I'm pretty certain, one way which is quite
complicated because you can access multiple features.  I'm checking on a
short cut to the microphone gain because I'm almost positive there is a
shorter way of getting to the microphone gain but I need a pair of eyes to
look at what I'm doing before I explain it to you.  If you are using the
original microphone with the Icom 7000 and it says "China" on the microphone
itself, it is the original, unmodified, and not the upgraded microphone.  I
sent my microphone to a guy in Arkansas who charges 40 dollars to upgrade
the old microphone and it has about 5 times the output when he ships it back
than it does originally.  Icom 7000 radios have a horrible reputation of
having terrible sounding audio.  The microphone modification solves 90
percent of this problem.  The manual says, set the gain to 50 percent for
maximum results but since my microphone is now modified, it blows you out of
the chair with distortion at 50 percent.  I can easily tell you how to get
to the speech compressor settings.  That method is very simple and I'm
pretty certain the microphone gain can be accessed in the same way but as I
said, I want to check with my son watching and following me with the print
manual before I tell you step by step.  I have a friend 2 miles away and we
are 40 over S9 due to being so close.  I had him check my new microphone
gain settings and he said I have it perfectly set.  I run the gain at just
20 percent and I have the speech compression, when it is on, set to only 5
percent and that setting alone really has punch power.  Few compressors are
worth their salt, however, so I only use it in contests or when conditions
break down and signals are poor.  Anyhow, I've been thinking about having
someone, if I can find someone, to read the manual, too, so maybe we can get
this worked out.  I'm trying to find a lap top I can afford right now just
to control the radio through the software.  If jaws can read the software,
it might be a whole lot easier to make changes.  Oh, one more thing about
the audio setting for the microphone gain.  You have a choice of three
levels of gain band width.  Narrow, or nar for short, mid range or just M on
the display, and Wide.  The wide is 2.9 KHz in width and you absolutely have
to have your gain set on the wide level or you'll have no lows and sound
like you are speaking through a paper towel roll made of aluminum.  I've
heard guys set to narrow band width and I can't even understand them clearly
because their signal is only 1 KHz in total band width.  The wide range
gives you 2,9 KHz of width minus 100 Hz on the bottom end so it punches in
more lows than the mid or narrow band width settings for transmit.  That was
part of my problem, too.  I believe I was set to mid or narrow and didn't
know it.  Few people, when you ask for an audio check, know what to listen
for and will confess, Oh, you sound fine.  I make sure I ask someone who
knows my voice and has heard me before and I also have an R75 receiver I use
to monitor the actual output signal on sideband so I know exactly what I'm
transmitting.  Some guys think you must have broadcast quality audio output.
they even spend hundreds of dollars on a studio microphone and buy a 300
dollar equalizer so they can control highs and lows.  I hate basey broadcast
quality sideband because to my tin ear, it is hard to listen to comfortably.
I like a little higher sideband pitch and even adjust my receive accordingly
if need be.  Of course, the IC 7000 has a narrow, mid, and wide range for
just about every mode of transmission but I've never owned a transceiver
that had the same for transmit until I bought the 7000.  I know with the
Flex radios, and some others, these same features are available but it took
me by surprise when I learned about it being in the 7000.  Oh, by the way,
even the speech compressor has a narrow, mid, and wide range to set and that
I discovered by accident just playing around.  I went to check the manual
and sure enough, there it was; big as life.  the narrow and mid range sounds
horrible and the highs are so high, at those other settings, your audio can
literally be above, or below, the listening stations passband filter so
that's why it makes you sound like you are talking through a metal tube.

Phil.
K0NX