From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2015 17:25:38 -0400
My brother Paul, W6PR, uses a five-band 4-element quad at his place on Point
Loma (San Diego), California. It works quite well on 10, 12, 15, 17 and 20
meters. He has it on a crank-up tower that is bracketed to the house (and
therefore a lot of noise is transmitted into the house when the wind blows).
But he can crank it down to a level where he can work on it on the roof,
which is somewhat frequently. Salt water corrosion is one of the problems.
The W3LPL contest station has 2 or 3 80-meter 2-element fixed quads. One is
aimed at Europe and another at South America. Maybe there is another for
Japan; I don't remember. They are suspended between towers, and he wouldn't
keep them up if they didn't work.
While I lived in Cedar Rapids, I had a 2-element quad up 40 feet. It worked
very well, although I wouldn't say it opened and closed the bands. I still
have most of the parts, but will probably never put it up.
73,

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, MD
http://lras.home.sprynet.com