From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:53:21 -0500
The first transmitter that I owned was a heathkit DX100.  I would set the
grid current by the time it took the meter needle to hit the zero peg.  I
set the plate current and dipped the rig using transformer hum.  I used to
have a sighted person check my readings every couple of months and I was
always right on, they  couldn't believe it.

My receiver was an old airforce bc348q and I made heavy use of a 100khz
calibrator.  Later on i modified a small swr meter by drilling it to accept
a one quarter inch jack hooked across the meter movement.  I plugged a
Conway auditory gimmick in to this meter and that let me start tuning my own
antennas, before that, I had to rely on someone who had a grid dip meter.
Bob Tinney, K8LR, [log in to unmask]
www.access-devices.com