From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:06:10 -0600
yep, sounds familiar.
Although, we have one new and sometimes used dealer that shows up to most of
the alberta ham fests...his prices are not bad actually.
I think if a guy is looking for more modern used gear ebay is the best ham
fest to go to.
Ebay has kind of taken over the hamfest market in allot of ways...and I can
see why.  Why would a guy haul a truck load of stuff around the state to
various hamfests, when he can keep it all in his garage and ship it out when
it sells on ebay....likely for more then he would get at a ham fest...paying
for gas, possibly time off work and eating out?
That said, I think hamfests are still a popular way for hams in an area to
get together and rag chew and catch up and tell stories excetra.
My personal experience is that anything modern, or of any usable value at
hamfests is way way over priced...but there is always some sucker who hasn't
done his price comparison shopping who will buy an HTX202 for $200 thinking
its the steal of the week.
Or as i posted recently, an IC735 for $600.
73
Colin, V A6BKX