From:
Kevin Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 17:50:59 -0500
Hi.

Thanks to everybody who responded to my note.  Looks like Batteries America
has what I want.  I'll save some money and buy the high capacity battery and
the drop-in charger.  That way I'll have two batteries that I can use.

I don't plan on transmitting on the radio while it's plugged into its
charger.  I will see if I can listen while it's plugged in.  One of the
things that intrigues me is the radio's ability to receive on HF and other
bands.

I've ordered a Diamond antenna for the radio.  I can't remember the model
number, but it cost me the same amount as the antenna I got for my Radio
Shack HT.  If it's what I already have, it looks like a 19 inch whip which
is coated with rubber.  I figure that will give me some gain over the duckie
that comes with the radio.

I purchased the Kenwood for $279.99 from Ham Radio Outlet, and the antenna
cost me $29.99.  I don't think that was too bad a cost, but I figure I'd
better wait to get the other things for the radio, such as the battery, the
charger and a speaker mic.  My financial advisor would hurt me.

Handiham does have a 4 part audio tutorial on the THF-6A.  It's done by
KA0PQW.  I believe his name is Matt.  He did an excellent audio tutorial on
the TS-2000, and his explanation of the TH-F6A was pretty good, although he
forgot to describe a key or two.  I've been to IcanWorkThisThing and have
read the key chart and a little of the manual.  I'll do more of that later
on tonight and tomorrow.

Again, thanks to everybody for their great help.

I wanna be the disc jockey for WWV.
73
Kevin Minor