From:
T Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2008 21:11:24 -0500
    Aaron:

If you're looking for an exclusively HF rig, or something that covers HF and
6 meters, I'd suggest the TS480.  It is probably the most accessible HF rig
out there right now.

If you want more in a rig, such as VHF and UHF, then the TS2000 might be
better.  The price is higher, and there are some concerns about the TS2000
receive, as you've read about on this list.  Also, the TS2000 is probably
not quite as accessible as the TS480, but there are lots of folks on this
list who have one and who could help get you started.

As for accessible auto-tuners, if you need an out-board tuner, I'd recommend
one of the LDG models.  I once had an LDG AT11MP auto-tuner, and they put a
chip in there that gave me audible beeps to indicate my approximate SWR
situation.  It was only approximate, but certainly better than nothing.  I
would suspect that they could put such a chip in later models if you asked.

Hope this helps at least a little.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ