From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 May 2005 20:00:18 -0700
Hi Jan,

I don't know about tapes but have a suggestion on the rig.  You can get
quite a few rigs fairly reasonably on the used market through the net and so
on but, for your first radio, until you know what you really want, I would
talk to Burghardt Amateur Center in South Dakota.  Jim who is their sales
manager, I believe, is knowledgeable of the needs of blind operators and is
a fair person to deal with.  While a used radio from there might be a little
more expensive than on the general used market, they offer a guarantee on
used equipment and you are getting a much more sure thing.

You want to make sure you get a radio with capability for speech output with
a synthesizer which will rule out most of the Yaesu's.  I assume you are
talking HF.  Kenwoods are usually a good bet and Icom makes some radios with
speech available as an option but they are never totally accessible without
vision for some things.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies.  Very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX
Navy Marine Corps MARS:  NNN0SHS