From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2007 19:14:06 -0500
I bought a 2 meter rig in 1974, and took it to college. It was a Regency
HR212, and ran an unheard of 20 watts.

For a brief time, I had a homemade collinear. It was one of those made from
pieces of rg59 coax cut to a certain length, and then soldered together with
the shield of one piece connected to the center of the one below it, thus
alternating back and forth to the end of the antenna.

Anyway, this thing was 35 feet long, and when the wind was not blowing, had
a heck of a lot of gain.

I hung it from a 9th floor window, and it hung down to the 6th floor. I
lived on the fifth floor, so the feedline wasn't very long. The building
blocked it to the south, thus causing it to act like a very good beam
pointed north.

I would consistently pin S meters 60 miles away on 52 simplex until the wind
broke the thing into several pieces.

I never took the time to build another one, mainly because I had used up my
free supply of scrap coax on the first one.

But, it was great fun while it lasted.

I replaced it with a vertical dipole made from an old tv antenna element.
Whenever I wanted to work 2 meters, I would push the dipole out of the
window fastened to the end of an old broom handle. I had sawed off the
business end of the broom, and fastened a metal bracket that I scrounged
from somewhere to that end.

The antenna was held in place by closing the window down onto the bracket,
and by a rope which was tied to the bracket and then around the leg of a
table where the student refrigerator sat.

It didn't work as well as the 35 foot long monster, but, it gave me good
area simplex coverage during the year prior to the installation of the
area's first repeater.

Mike Duke, K5XU