From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Duke, K5XU
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2014 18:20:30 -0500
Tags similar to those Butch mentioned, though perhaps a bit
smaller, are called Merchandise Tags. They are available at
Wal-Mart, Staples and Office Depot, usually in lots of 100
or more.

Of course, you can roll your own with some string, a hole
punch, and a stack of 3 by 5 cards, old business cards,
scraps of Braille paper, or card stock.

I have found that a good way to make Braille hold up better
on labels made in this fashion is to first cover the card
with a thin plastic "peal and stick" laminating sheet, also
available at the above stores.

Back in the day, my mother, the secretary at work, or
whoever I could draft, would cut old sound sheet magazines
into sections, giving each a more or less straight edge so
that the strips would roll into a Perkins more easily. I
would ask them to do the cutting because I can't cut a
straight line with scissors if my life depends on it.

I used those labels for various food containers, including
those that went into the freezer. They would survive several
cycles through the freezer as well as the dish washer if I
forgot to remove them first.

I would also use this material to make labels for the tape
cartridges that were in use in radio stations until
everything moved to electronic storage.

I kept the 3M Scotch Tape factory in business labeling those
tapes that way.

I haven't gone looking for them in a long time, but the
above mentioned stores, or craft stores, may also have
plastic sheets that would be thick enough to hold braille.