From:
Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 11:46:58 -0700
I agree with Buddy (below).  It's the magic of radio that keeps many of
us in the hobby -- even those of us who don't get on the air all that
much.

And the Internet is a wonderful adjunct to radio, as Buddy says.  (I
must confess, though, that when the Internet was a lot more "geeky" --
when it was noncommercial, the amateur radio newsgroups such as
"rec.radio.amateur.misc" made far more pleasant readings -- posts were
on-topic and there weren't continual political arguments and
name-calling -- Buddy remembers those days.)

I think that what we (the ham community *and* the FCC) are going to have
to realize is that there *are* no magic bullets to ensure that ham radio
progresses or even stays alive as a hobby.  it's up to each one of us to
do our bit.

I, too, would have to see the CW requirement go -- but it's a-comin'.
Got an ARRL bulletin on that the other day.  CW works when nothing else
will.  But people have forgotten.  Ah well.

73!

Mike Freeman <[log in to unmask]>
Amateur Radio: K 7 U I J