From:
Don Bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 16:16:00 -0800
Hi,

You sure can use a noise bridge to tune an antenna tuner.  Just make
sure you know where the 50 ohm setting is on the bridge and  then tune
the tuner for a sharp null in the noise.  One caution:  be darned sure
you remove the bridge from the line before you transmit or you will
have a noise bridge that doesn't produce a sound!

If you are using one of the rigs of today with an automatic antenna
tuner you can tune by listening to the motor and when it stops, the
antenna is matched.  You don't know how good the match is of course,
but it's a way to do it without a lot of hightech equipment.  When you
do this without any speech or similar readout, it isn't a bad idea to
move up and down the band a bit just to get an idea of how much your
swr is changing as you shift frequency.  Once you get one of these
things tuned up on a band, it really is a good idea to check the match
with the auto antenna tuner whenever you change frequency very much.

I do remember the rigs with a sweep tube amplifier.  They weren't quite
as forgiving with swr and it was always a good idea to tune the thing,
regardless of how you did it, very promptly.  If you didn't, you really
needed a good supply of new tubes.  <grin>  Those things could blow in
a hurry if you weren't careful.

Don W6SMB