From:
Howard Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2013 05:12:03 -0500
You are right, and I struggle with the issue.
I guess I am guilty, but boy its hard!!!  I don't need them to agree with
me, just to have the social skills and deasency to respect that their belief
is right for themselves only.
Its like my reaction when some sighted or blind person insists on knowing
what all blind people can or can't do.
Yesterday I took the bus from my house to Miller park, used the GPS to find
the main gate where I met friends.
Then during the game I used my cane to navigate from my seat to the
consession stand and came back with food and beer, a couple of times.  Then
I didrected my friends from the park to my house, and left them with
directions back to the part of town that they new.  Now I don't expect that
every blind person could have pulled this off, and I am not a better person
because I could do it.  I have to say, that one of the reasons I can do it
is ham radio.  I learned the city from the guys on 2 meters in the 70's.
Just listening to the mobiles and where they were, allowed me to build a map
that is still in my head.