From:
"Mike Duke, K5XU" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2016 22:21:49 -0500
Lloyd has covered it very well.

For anyone who wants to try it on 40 meters, don't under estimate your
dipole or G5RV. I have 39 countries confirmed through LOTW on 40 meters
using only 100 watts to an inverted V at 30 feet in the center. I hope
I can manage enough new ones this weekend to bring my 40 meter total up to 50.

Give 40 a try around your local sunset for some amazing signals from
Europe, and from South America. At my Mississippi QTH, I hear more big
signals from Europe than I do from South America, but there will be
plenty of signals from both places that can be worked easily enough.

I have a bit of trouble hearing Africa, probably due to the low
elevation of my antenna, but I have worked a few from there as well.

Around local sun rise, you will hear Japan, VK, ZL, and, if you are
lucky, other parts of Asia.

There are some real monster antennas out there on 40 meters. Let those
antennas work for you by bringing your signal to the receiver of the DX
stations.

I am by no means a heavy hitter on 80 meters. I only have 10 countries
confirmed there, mostly in the Caribbean.

For casual operating during this particular contest, 20 or 15 meters
should yield good results, even if you do not have a beam. If 10 meters
opens, which it has a little bit this week, then so much the better for
easier operating.

Check 10 meters occasionally just so you won't miss any openings up there.

No matter where you are operating, if you can hear them, call them.
This is especially true during the last 2 or 3 hours of the contest on
Sunday afternoon when everybody who has been at it all weekend is
starving for new contacts from anywhere just to run the head count up a
little higher.

Have fun.

--
Mike Duke, K5XU