From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2006 22:01:51 -0400
Hi.

Really, the best way to evaluate the problem is to see if you can verify
the readings with another meter.  In my own shack, I've found the TW1 to be
good on SWR up through 6 meters, but the wattmeter seems to read low on 6
meters.  They claim it to be 160 through 6 meters, but I really think it
should be rated for 160 through 10 meters, and if you want to do 6, you
should go buy the LDG TW-2.

Anyway, I am thinking of two possibilities.  The first is that you are
getting RF back into the shack and because of it, the meter isn't reading
accurately.  The other possibility is that you do not have a good RF
ground, so you are getting a high SWR on the upper bands.  RF grounds are
easier to establish at lower frequencies, so your observations on 160 and
80 meters would make sense.  If you want to test this, try cutting quarter
wave counterpoises for the bands that you are having trouble with and
observe what effect it has on the SWR.

If it significantly lowers your SWR, then you are having a RF ground issue.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 04:09 PM 5/15/2006 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello All,  I am looking for your opinion on the LDG TW1 talking SWR meter,
>How a accurate do you find it?  I am using this along with a SGC 230 Auto
>ATU,  and the wire is the right length according to there manual,  I can
>tune up on 1.6 meters and 80 meters with a 1.01 SWR but all the other
>frequencies like 40 20 and the rest are over the 2.9 SWR I have tried every
>thing I can think of to put this problem right and now I have run out of
>Ideas,  and so have most of my fellow hams here in the UK.  It doesn't make
>any sense as to it giving  me  the low SWR on two of the frequencies and not
>the others and the length of the antenna for those is shorter.  I would be
>grateful for any Ideas that anyone can give me on this please.
>Regards
>Andrew Shipp
>Located Northampton UK
>Contact details
>Home phone +44,0,1604 517007,
>Mobile Orange network 07891809892
>I am also  the Moderator for the blind-gardening group to join

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Work e-mail:  [log in to unmask]