From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 23:00:13 -0600
Hey all:
well i finally got around to testing some of the things that were suggested
to me on the list to find out why I can't power on the ICT90 when using
battery power only.
I took the battery out and plugged in the charger to be able to turn the rig
on.  I then checked the battery compartment terminals inside the radio and
found that there was nothing coming from them either when the radio was on,
or off with the charger plugged in.
So, that tells me that the radio isn't getting power from the battery, and
the battery isn't getting power from the charger to recharge.
So, I then put the battery back in and unplugged the charger.  I tested the
battery while in the radio to see if there was a significant voltage drop,
and there was not.  The battery is still putting out around 7.8VDC both in,
and out of the radio so I don't suspect that the battery is at fault here.
I'm wondering if there isn't a diode or protection circuit between the
battery and the radio and the charger and the battery. If so, then this
likely blew.  In wich case it might be rather difficult to get it fixed.
A work around that I may implement would be to solder a pig tail on to the
outside terminals of the battery with an appropriate sized plug end and plug
the battery into the jack where the charger or external power would normally
go.
Rather awkward, but workable if necesary.
I don't think it would be bennificial to send the radio in since paying for
shipping both ways, plus repares would likely exceed the cost of another
used ICT90.
73
Colin, V A6BKX