From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 20:44:49 -0400
Anthony,

I'm assuming your amplifier doesn't have digital inputs, so you probably
want to use an analog output from your sound card.  An analog output would
be either the speaker output or the line output if your card has one.  If
your card doesn't have separate jacks, you may be able to select the type of
output either from the Windows Volume Control, or from the sound card's own
control panel which may or may not be easy to access.

Your hum problem is probably the result of a ground loop caused by one or
more pieces of equipment not sharing a common ground.  If your amplifier has
a non-polarized power cord, try reversing the plug to see if the hum goes
away.  If you can't do that, or it doesn't work, try running a piece of wire
between the amplifier's case and the case of the computer.  I assume you're
using shielded cable between the sound card and the amplifier, and that
you're also using a high level input such as CD or Tuner, and not a
low-level input such as Phono.

If none of these suggestions work, I'm afraid you'll either have to live
with the hum, or try using a different sound card.  Good luck.

Steve