From:
Lou Kolb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2011 21:19:52 -0400
Michael,

First, it's not as accessible as the Kenwoods as there is no voice chip.
However, I've used it quite successfully since last may as most of the
functions you'll use day-to-day are available from the front panel.  An
elecraft program called K3 voice gives access to s meter readings, frequency
and several other settings.  What we're attempting to gain now is access to
the menus.

One of the best things about the K3 is that it's modular and you can get as
much or as little as you want and add later.  My unit is not fully loaded
but has 3 filters, 6 khz, 2.7 khz and 400 hz.  I also have the antenna tuner
which is phenominal. it will match antennas with an swr of up to ten to one.
It cost me under 3,000 u.s.  More than a Kenwood 590, I guess but it is
indeed high end and Elecraft improves it with firmware updates all the time.

Hope this helps.  Lou