From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2012 11:44:31 -0500
While the AT-300 has long been discontinued, it is still the "standard"
that Kenwood radios  interface with.  Other external auto tuners will
emulate the AT-300 when interfacing with Kenwood radios.   I'm fairly
sure that if you can figure out the pin outs from the tuner cable, you
can connect it to the molex jack on the radio  and then just use the
radio's tune button to auto tune.    There may well be some pre made
cables out there if you dig around.   If you check the e-ham  product
reviews, there are guys who will do custom interface cables at
reasonable cost.

There is also a trick of putting  a 10k ohm resistor between the center
2 holes of the molex jack on the radio. While this doesn't control the
auto tuner  automaticly, when you hit the tune button on the radio, it
bypasses the internal tuner,  switches the radio to CW and lowers power
to 10 watts.  Then you tune the tuner, and when it is matched, hit the
radio's tune button again to return to original mode and power setting.
   I've never done this and am going from memory, so confirm from
another source before trying this.

73, Steve  KW3A