From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2016 12:10:38 -0600
	Your question is an interesting one in that it cuts
directly to the core of what makes unix so good. I am laughing
when I say this, but you asked a very complicated question for
which I will try to give as simple an answer as I can since you
are just getting started.

Brian Horst <[log in to unmask]> writes:
> I am starting into the Linux experience and currently using "putty" for
> terminal emulation.  I also use JAWS 16 and am finding I end up using the
> JAWS curser to find out any text being sent by the pie.  Oh yes, OS is
> Debian on the Raspberry pie.
>
> I figured there might be some users out here with much more experience
> than
> me.

	I started learning about unix 27 years ago. The problem
you describe with having to use the jaws cursor to check for new
output is annoying, I am sure and I do not have an incremental
suggestion for you to try that will fix it but keep your
raspberry Pi at the ready since it is an amazing little computer.

	You are having to use the jaws cursor to read the screen
because of the way that putty and Windows are handling
newly-received data.

	If there is someone on this list who knows how to
configure jaws or putty to respond without being hand-pumped for
information, please speak up as I do not use Windows.

	One thing you can do without destroying your Windows
setup is to download a live CD of ubuntu and get it to talk as
the modern Linux kernel has speakup installed in the kernel so it
can talk if it likes the hardware in your computer.

	A live CD lets you boot up in Linux and as long as you
don't go in to the installer, your hard drive is out of the loop
and not reformatted.

	There is also reportedly a version of raspbian with
speech in the kernel and it will work on your Pi if you plug in a
USB sound card. I actually have looked for this in the last
few days for my own Raspberry Pi and have not been able to find
it but that would be wonderful if you did since the Pi, itself,
would talk through that sound card.

The file was referred to on another list and is called

ubuntu_mate_orca.img

You probably need a usb keyboard as well as a usb sound card for
the Pi, but it would most likely work the way it should which is
to echo the keys you press and then you hear output from the
shell after hitting the Return.

	If you get ubuntu running on your PC, you can just ssh in
to your Pi and that definitely works as I have done this both
with the Pi connected via WiFi and via wired Ethernet.

	If I were you, I'd try to get ubuntu on either a live CD
or thumb drive if you can boot from one of those and ssh in since
you do not have to involve quite as much of the learning curve at
once as you would if you are trying to learn orca and speakup at
the same time. You also would not have to buy a usb sound card
and keyboard for the Raspberry Pi.

Martin