From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:22:35 -0700
this antenna seems to be some kind of center fed dipole arrangement.
obviously not a full length vertical dipole like other large HF verticals,
but a similar, more efficient design than a bottom fed loading coil type
vertical.
I don't know the specifics, but I think they use loading coils and traps
along the vertical dipole to get the antenna into the right resonant
territory...and I'm not sure if they use liniar loading like some other
vertical dipole type HF verticals.
from all descriptions, it's easy to put together...one reviewer even said it
was easy to disassemble in the dark...which would lead me to believe that a
blind person could probably figure it out without too much difficulty.
The nice thing is that it seems to be pretuned to some extent, so you don't
have to try and find coil tap locations or move sections up and down to find
the sweet spot.
According to the instructions and reviewer information, you put it together
as suggested, hang the coax feedline off at a 45 degree angle, and keep it
at least 6 feet away from metal objects, and it'll be resonant and show an
acceptible match on the bands it's made for.
So, sticking it in the middle of the living room should be fine...a metal
balcony railing might cause some issues, but you can compress the coils
apparently to counteract that issue if need be.
73
Colin, V A6BKX