From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:33:28 -0700
Where did you get the idea digital runs less power.  I've never read that.
The problem with digital radio is the same problem with all digital
formats.  It is either there, or it is not and it takes a very very good
signal to noise ratio to work.  Under the same conditions, analog will be
more dependable and reach farther.  Any of you remember the good old
analog cell phone days.  Once in a while the signal would get noisy, but
you could still copy.  You could also wonder around and find a hot spot.
Can't do that at all with digital.  I hate the audio on today's digital
cell phones, but they can cram more subscribers on a single channel, and
that is the name of the game.  The motto seems to be "digital is better".
Well some times it is, and some times not.  Look ahead a bit.  Do you
really think we'll still have free radio once everything goes digital?  I
doubt it.  The format will be in place to make radio pay radio.  Look at
the control that can be exercised.  I get satellite on direct tv, and
because they know my zip code, the games are blacked out here in Vegas.  I
don't have a clue why, as we can get them on the same channel locally that
is uplinked to the satellite.  The point is that with digital, all of this
is so easily controled.  Adds can even be targeted to specific areas or
zip codes.  To me, it is kind of scarry.
73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr