From:
Kevin Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2012 08:13:22 -0500
Hi Darren.

CTCSS and PL are the same thing.  Where the confusion may come in is the
four settings of squelch on the TM-V71A.  There is Tone Squelch, which is
most likely what you want.  It's essentially what you think of as PL.  The
tone is transmitted, but not received by the radio.  CTCSS is also PL, but
in this case the radio sends and receives the tone.  I have this on for
channels that have interference, so only a signal that sends the tone will
open the squelch.  DCS is one that I'm not too familiar with, but it isn't
PL.  There is also the option where all tones and decoding is off.

Hope this helps you out.

GO CATS!
Kevin Minor, Lexington, KY