From:
Lou Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 14:06:28 -0500
Hi Shaun.

If you are looking at used gear, and can live without the S-meter, a gem on
the used market would be the Kenwood TS450S or the TS690S.  These radios
had very little menus other than the setup menu to tell the radio what
filters were installed, and if you get one that has the AT450 auto tuner,
that tuner was a bit more forgiving than the newer tuners I've worked
with.  Also, if you can find a Kenwood TS440S in good shape with the auto
tuner and voice board, that is another good candidate.  You have to be
careful with the TS440S radios as they tended to develop microprocessor and
keypad problems, but if you can find one that isn't exhibiting any keypad
problems and will turn on, you would otherwise have a gem of a radio.

Regarding the S-meter, I don't put very much stock in them because most of
them are grossly inaccurate anyway.  The one in the TS2000S isn't accurate
within a mile.  They are only relative, and what they tell you is whether
one signal is stronger than another, but they don't even tell you
accurately how much stronger.  So, I just don't put a lot of stock in those
meters.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK