From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:36:30 -0400
Robert,

"Tone" is what you need to transmit to gain access to the repeater.  "CTSS"
is what your radio uses to allow you to hear a repeater without hearing
noise on the frequency, and it only works if the repeater is broadcasting a
tone.  "CTCSS" is a different system of encoding/decoding, and is rarely
used for amateur repeaters.  If a repeater requires a tone to access it, you
need to check the "Tone" box, and select the correct tone frequency.  Once
you've entered the repeater correctly, you can scan for CTCSS tones, but if
you get a different tone from the PL tone, don't bother to set up the CTCSS
because you won't be able to select it and still access the repeater.

Steve