From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 22:46:47 -0600
hey Mike:
not sure why you are going with a condenser mike as dynamic microphones
sound just as good for the audio band width that you are utilizing.
which microphone are you thinking about picking up?
for SSB band width, pretty much any dynamic studio microphone will do the
trick nicely.  The secret to that really great audio you may be going after
is the equalizer settings.
The behringer mixer will give you a little bit of flexibility with EQ in the
low mid, mid range and a little of the high end.  However, the eq on the
mixer is designed for both live instruments, and music play back wich means
the band shelves are set for those applications.  The high frequency control
starts at 8000HZ or so, and the low frequency control adjusts from about
200HZ and down.  So really the only useful thing on the eq for SSB audio
would be the mid range control.  You won't have a frequency sweep control on
the 802 to tailor the mid range band width or shelf.  So, you may be better
off picking up the W2IHY equalizer wich will give you a far more useful EQ
and a PTT jack to run an outboard switch rather then the behringer 802.
I believe someone said there is fantom power on the W2IHY equalizer as well
so you can still use the condenser mike.
It is pricier, but far more inline with what you are trying to do I think.
You will also have to get an adapter to run from the mixer to the audio
input of the radio.  You won't have very good RF isolation either from the
802, though it does have audio isolation transformers onboard.
73
Colin, V A6BKX