From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Mar 2014 11:50:47 -0400
Unfortunately, many modern radios have issues with their ALCs.  For example,
I believe the 590 has a problem with the ALC failing to kick in quite fast
enough when the radio is keyed, which causes a power spike that can cause
your amp to go non-linear.  From what I've heard, the solution is to run the
radio with low enough output that the ALC doesn't have to be used.  In other
words, as Kelvin has said much more succinctly, don't trust the ALC, but use
it as an additional safety measure.

Steve