From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2016 19:26:14 -0500
Oh boy, what a can of worms you're opening.

OK, first the easy thing. The salesman is full of beans, or perhaps other solids that are not beans. Of course a Part 90 radio can be moved into Amateur service. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous. Now you can't go the other way legally, from Amateur to Part 90.

Next. Yes, some Baofeng handhelds were Part 90 certified, but there are arguments that they should not have been, owing to the fact that many of them cannot be set up so they are not field programmable. Even so, some are, whether they should be or not.

Now we get to the fun bit. I know you were waiting for the fun bit.

There were some Anytone radios that were purported to be certified both for Part 90 and Part 95, and would of course also work in the Amateur service. I believe, though cannot be certain, that these radios were short-lived, and may no longer be available. Conspiracy theories as to why abound, no doubt. Those were the only such radios of which I am aware. None of the other cheap Chinese handhelds can *legally*, by the letter of the law, be used on GMRS, and certainly not on FRS. Having said that, I suspect the FCC has better things to do with its time than go after people who are using them, nless you're using them and being a disruptive jerk while doing so. So they may not be exactly legal, but if you're not stupid and keep your head down, who's going to know or care? That's the argument anyway, and I ain't got a dog in that fight.

Vy 73,

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194