From:
Martin McCormick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2007 15:56:28 -0500
Lou Kline writes:
> If you don't have a particular reason for needing a Mac, such as a
> particular software package that runs on a Mac, what you are describing
> could be handled by a Windows machine running HyperTerminal and a screen
> reader such as JAWS, Window-Eyes, or HAL.

Thanks for the suggestion. Our campus does have a Microsoft site
license and I could get JAWS if I wanted it, but I use Linux
and FreeBSD UNIX both at work and at home. The Mac is UNIX-based
so I would feel more at home plus the screen reader is built
right in rather than added on at extra cost. There are not many
software speech synthesizers at this time that work under Linux
and work correctly so I think the Mac under Leopard may just
fill the bill.

	So, for philosophical as well as skill-set reasons, I
hope the Mac works out. JAWS and Windows represent a useful
method of access for many, but it would be totally foreign to
me.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer