From:
colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:39:22 -0700
the monitor, as I understand it, is a UHF receiver unit.
The idea behind it is so that it can monitor the transmissions from the FT
M350, or any other UHF band transmitter within about 1000FT.
the reason it is sold as an FT M350 accessory specifically is that the radio
control head has a charging sleeve on it specifically designed for the
monitor receiver.
So, say you want to listen to transmissions on the 440 band during an event
or something, and walk around, or be at another location without a
radio...you can use this tiny little monitor to listen to who ever is
transmitting on a 440 frequency within your immediate area.  I suppose if
the UHF repeater is strong enough, you'll hear that too, but won't hear the
received audio...
A bit useless in my opinion, but it's yet another feature of the whole
package I guess.
Seems it would be far more useful if it just got a wireless audio signal
from the control head of everything received and transmitted through the
radio...the description of the unit is fairly vague...so it may well do
exactly this.
The ham that bought the rig also had one of these monitor units thrown in as
part of the perchase...but he has to wait because it's on back order.
I'll let you guys know what it does, exactly, once he has a chance to play
with it.
73
Colin, V A6BKX