From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 2016 01:29:00 -0500
Hi Tom,

Well, if you think that's bad, the rule is the same in Canada--except
that it's only once every half hour--just as it is for commercial radio
and TV in the US and Canada.

One thing that always troubled me was that many times--particularly on
HF, you get involved in what the old timers called 'a round robin.'
That is where maybe up to 20 or 30 hams are talking one after the other
in tight rotation.  Some of those old guys--particularly the guys who
came from the old AM days will key down for over ten minutes.  With that
many people in QSO, are you supposed to key up over the guy and give
your call sign.

Let's say for example, that you were number 3 in rotation and by the
time you get to number 5, that guy is going on and on and on and the ten
minutes is now up for your identification, if you don't key up and
identify, technically, you're in violation--since you started a
transmission ten minutes ago and now while still technically in QSO, you
haven't identified.  However, if you arbitrarily key up on top of the
guy who is ragging on and on, you are creating interference.

Now some groups do allow for an un-key and then all stations
Identifying, but this is generally not the case.

One FCC/OO told me once that the spirit of the law is to make sure that
every station in QSO knows who is on frequency and can easily inform
others of that matter.  Therefore, a hard and fast interpretation of the
identification laws in such cases is not required.

...And then what happens to someone who (as I have in a number of cases)
falls asleep during such a large 'round robin?'  When one wakes up an
hour later after everyone has signed, are you now in violation when you
finally sign and then clear frequency?