From:
"Howard, W A 9 Y B W" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2014 12:07:09 -0600
Eric,

You may be able to find a used Kenwood TS570 or a TS480 in that price area.
I believe a new TS 480 goes for around $1100, but don't quote me on that.
There are two flavors of the 480, one has the internal antenna tuner and
runs 100 watts and the other gives up the tuner and gives you 200 watts.
Personally, I'd take the tuner over another 100 watts.  There is also two
flavors of the TS570, one covers six meters and the other one just goes
through ten meters.

 The TS480 is a current radio and the TS570 has been out of production for,
perhaps ten years or more.  Both radios can have speech added.  The TS480
will have more speech than the 570.

The 570 is not a bad radio, however, the 480 is probably a better radio.

My two cents worth.

Howard #3