From:
Pierre Berube <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 2017 19:58:30 -0600
Did you read my friend Ka9car for his suggestions?
Pierre K9eye
Lifetime Member of Handiham

From: Tom Brennan  <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Monday, January 30, 2017 11:51 am

> My understanding is that the output from the back is digital.
>
> Tom
>

> Tom Brennan  KD5VIJ, CCC-A/SLP
> web page http://titan.sfasu.edu/~g_brennantg/sonicpage.html
>
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2017, Mike Keithley wrote:
>
> > Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2017 19:18:02 -0800
> > From: Mike Keithley <[log in to unmask]>
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Re: Analog sound?
> >
> > Very sorry but I don't understand this. As far as I know, the output at
the earphone jack is analog, not digital.

from my ST590. It's just a digital sound, and my cochlear implants (being
digital devices themselves) just don't handle digitally-generated sound
well. I'm seriously thinking of finding an old ham receiver with analog
signal processing and putting up with poor selectivity etc.

To a lesser extent, my land line phone, which is actually VOIP through
Comcast, also sounds digital. But the digital effect disappears when using
my wife's wired landline phone (which I'm sure turns into VOIP along the
network).

blanker turned off and listening to AM broadcast stations with broadest
selectivity. But my Victor Stream (which is actually digital), sounds more
analog and better. In the 590, I can turn the RF gain down to keep an SSB
signal from influencing the AGC, and this removes the digital effect
somewhat. But I think something got lost in the audio quality (for my ears
at least) of modern transceivers. Maybe I'll try building my own receiver,
like the regenerative receiver I built in my novice days. That used vacuum
tubes and was inspired from an article in the BTP. It wasn't much, but it
was analog!

gross sometimes that I spend more time on CW and deal with weird
digitally-generated effects, which can get rather wild with sharp
selectivity.