Date:
Tue, 30 May 2006 19:58:50 -0400
Hi Anthony,
When you make that move, don't count yourself out of amateur radio! I've
not had the chance to get my antennas up yet but have been having fun on
hf using a portable antenna outside.

If you've got a patio, or balcony, or a park area, a portable antenna
and a rig like the IC-703 will get you on the air and let you make
contacts.

As an example, my wife and I went away for our anniversary. We rented a
cabin (with a full kitchen, screened in porch and all air
contitioning--lest you get the idea we were really roughing it) at
Silver River State Park near Ocala Florida. I used my IC-703+ running 5
watts and an MP2 antenna and worked a number of stations during the
weekend. My contacts included: stations in the U.S., Jamaica, French
Guiana, U.S. Virgin Islands and Martinique.

You will need to have more patience than you would with a kilowatt and a
big antenna or antennas--but you can sure stay radio active.

Ron Miller
N6MSA
Clearwater, FL.