From:
Dave Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 19 Feb 2016 13:29:36 +1300
Hi!

Your friend just has to decide whether he wants a business or not. I'm sure
he's right in so far as he goes. It isn't legal to move a business band ht
to the ham band if he charges for that service. That's the difference. As a
ham, he can operate it anywhere and in any mode specified by the license
held.

Yes, the Baofeng radios work fine on the GMRS frequencies. You need only to
plug them in. I've read that the FCC has not type accepted them for that
service, but as a practical matter, that relates to some components,
primarily the transmitter, satisfying the expectations of a spectrum
analyser, which few of us could afford even if they were accessible.

Remember that the justification for being eligible for a ham license is not
to make money. That's the fine line drawn here.

73,
Dave