From:
David W Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 1 Sep 2015 08:15:13 +0100
Hi

All so true!

Here, in the UK, on 7 7 the mobile network was useless as it went into the
most basic of emergency modes.

Where I live, on the south coast near to the channel tunnel to France, we
had an earthquake a few years ago which did the same.  All the local TV and
radio shut down also.
I grabbed my mobile rig, put it into the car and liaised with fellow hams on
two metres.  A crowd of about fifty people gathered round the car within
about fifteen minutes as, in my locality, I was the only person with any
information about the amount of damage, its worst points, and what remedial
actions were being taken.

Surely the KISS principle should prevail!

73

David W Wood